March 21, 2008

Boat Sickness, Food Sickness, Altitude Sickness

May 17, 2006

Ah, things are lovely in Peru. Two days ago I took a short boat trip with my group to get a look at sea life - I hate boats and I hate sea life, so I don't know why I would agree to that - and I threw up over the side of the boat right next to Steve, the only young person on my trip. That is not the way to make friends.

I then proceeded to eat something which disagreed with me, and then we began our ascent to high altitudes, further compounding my physical difficulties. At least I am very, very fit. Oh, wait, that's not me I'm thinking of.

What else. We took an overnight bus last night, and I sat next to an Australian grandfather named Lyle, by far the most troublesome member of the group. For some reason, which I've yet to discover, he has cotton shoved into both of his ears. He yells things very loudly in really bad Spanish, and on every third breath he makes a very strange noise through his nose. I only know it is on every third breath because I spent the entire night in very close quarters with him. To improve my bus trip, we were all woken up this morning to very, very loud music videos of Elton John. There is nothing like hearing Tiny Dancer in the Peruvian desert at 6:00 am.

Oh, I almost forgot a highlight. Yesterday we got to go ¨sand skiing,¨ which is one of the most fun and reckless things ever invented. We took a sand dune buggy through the desert at ridiculously high speeds, over huge hills - it really was very scary, and definitely not safe at all. When we got to the highest peaks we would attach these snow board- like things to ourselves and basically fall down these huge sand hills - like in the Princess Bride right after Westley yells "As you wiiiiiiiiiiish!" to Princess Buttercup. We just hurled ourselves right down those hills. It was nice.



More updates to follow.

p.s. There was great concern in my group today that we didn't know what color shirts the "tourist police" wear in Peru. Oh, my. I didn't even know there was such a thing as "tourist police," and even if I did it certainly wouldn't occur to me to look for them on the streets.

No comments: